- Softened unsalted butter, for spreading
- Eight 1/2-inch-thick slices of sourdough boule
- 1 pound Taleggio cheese, rind removed and cheese sliced
- Honey (preferably bitter), for drizzling
- Flaky sea salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- Preheat a large griddle or very large skillet over moderate heat. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread and arrange them buttered side down on a work surface. Top 4 bread slices with the cheese. Close the sandwiches, pressing lightly to flatten.
Cook the sandwiches over moderate heat, turning once, until golden on the outside and the cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the sandwiches to plates. Drizzle with honey and season with salt and pepper. Serve right away.